Inflammation is our bodies normal response to injury or attack of the immune system. There are two types of inflammation, the first one is a healthy and necessary response, it is caused by an injury, we sprain our ankle it swells and turns red, heat might be present and there will be pain. This response is to protect and promote healing in that area. This is the good kind of inflammation.
Then there is the chronic, a low level of inflammation at the cellular level- also known as the “silent killer”. This type develops without too much pain (usually joint pain) but it can lead to obesity, diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
What are some of the causes of this chronic inflammation?
- Diet; Trans-fat, refined sugars, casein, gluten, refined grains, food additives, red meat, alcohol & dairy. Eating foods you are intolerant to. Also, think of the 3 P’s, packaged, processed and prepared foods.
- Environmental Factors; Secondhand smoke, pollution, pesticides/herbicides, heavy metals, chemicals and airborne irritants
- Stress; workplace, relationships, personal, psychological
- Acute and Chronic Illness; Excess weight/obesity, heart disease, auto immune diseases; like lupus, RA, celiac and crohn’s
- Genetic; Our family history (but not our destiny)
How do we Prevent or Reduce Inflammation?
- Reduce exposure to the above factors can help reverse inflammation.
- Eliminate foods that you are intolerant to.
- Eat the right foods, whole, organic foods. Especially with anti-oxidants like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, turmeric, leafy greens, ginger, kelp, dark chocolate, pecans, goji berries, and red cabbage.
- Exercise 3-5 days per week, for at least 30 minutes a day. This will reduce excessive weight which contributes to chronic inflammation. Also practicing meditation promotes mental clarity and stress reduction.
If you do not know where to start schedule a call with us, we have many ideas how to accomplish the reduction of chronic inflammation. We look at the science first with a food intolerance test. Then we look at lifestyle and food. We would love to help you on this journey so you can have the strength and energy to do the things you love.
Andrew Weil’s Reducing Whole Body Inflammation Mark Hyman’s Ultra Wellness Lesson 2: Inflammation & Immune Balance